Interview an early childhood teacher (preschool) who has at least one special education student in the class. Develop a 23 page report that can be shared with your class members in this unit’s discussion. The purpose of this interview experience is to help you get a sense of how a teacher adapts lessons using DAP to ensure all children learn, including those with exceptional needs.
Your interview will have two sections. In the first part you will ask general questions about the overall support of children with disabilities. In the second part of the interview you will narrow your focus to a specific category of disabilities.
Ask the following questions, along with any others that are important to you. If you like, you can share these questions with the teacher prior to the interview so they know what to expect.
General Interview Questions
· How do you design or modify lessons based on the understanding and identification of exceptionality, challenges, and gifts? How do you support development and educational progress of the individual with exceptional learning needs?
· How do you analyze the different influences of a learning environment on a young child’s development?
· How would you create learning environments aligned to educational expectations and goals?
· How do you communicate and collaborate effectively with parents to best meet the child’s needs?
· What activities do you use to encourage student expression in a variety of forms, including speaking, physical activity, and artistic presentations?
Specific Disability Questions
Now that you have addressed some general guidelines and practices, ask some questions related to the specific disability of dyslexia. You may also choose to explore an additional disability if you are interested. In this case, model your questions on the ones given here for dyslexia.
· How do you design evidence-based instructional strategies for students based on the understanding and identification of students with dyslexia?
· How do you support development and educational progress of the individual with exceptional learning needs? How do you support development and educational progress of students with dyslexia? How is this alike or different?
· How can you use a structured literacy approach to meet the needs of students who show characteristics of dyslexia? Which reading programs does your school use to provide additional support to dyslexic students?
· What are some common interventions for students who show characteristics of dyslexia?
· What are some provisions that you make to act in the best interests of struggling readers and readers with dyslexia?
, how did teachers adapt lessons to make sure children with exceptional needs learn?
In the subject line of your post, be sure to note the age range of your interviewee’s students.
To protect confidentiality, please do not mention real names of those you observe or their school.
Demonstrating the Dispositions
Our ECE master’s program has been developed based on the following dispositions that learners are expected to embrace and demonstrate:
Is committed to fairness.
Is committed to personal and professional conduct that is both ethical and respectful of the rights of others.
Believes that all children can learn at high levels.
Persists in helping students achieve success by applying different approaches until they achieve that success.
Is willing to explore and use technology in the classroom.
Recognizes when one’s own dispositions may need to be adjusted.
Is committed to reflective practice, professional development, and lifelong learning.
After reviewing these dispositions and interviewing the teacher in this unit, how do you believe the teacher demonstrated their understanding of these? How do you currently (or will in the future) demonstrate your own understanding of the dispositions?
APA style 2-3 pages